Sunday 10 November 2013

I’m in the USA | Big things update

Today I have a quick update on what has been going on over the last week.

I finished up with work and then following that I spent the next few days catching up with friends and packing my two huge suitcases (I could have probably filled 3 suitcases if I was allowed to).

Finally it came time to go to the airport. I arrived at Canberra airport to find my original flight had been cancelled and that I had been booked onto an earlier flight (thanks goes to mum who made sure we were at the airport early). I was a bit sad when it was time to board my flight and after a tearful goodbye I was off to Sydney.

I was lucky enough to have a pass for the Qantas club lounge so I had a nice relaxing wait and took advantage of the free food and beverages, However I didn’t manage to find where everyone was getting the ice cream from. I was desperately hoping for an upgrade on my flight (even though I knew it was never going to happen but hey, it never hurts to dream) I got the next best thing two seats to myself 4 rows back from the front of economy. The flight was pretty smooth occasionally a bit of turbulence just to keep it interesting. With the extra room I was able to lie down and sleep.

When I arrived in Dallas I had about an hour and 10 minutes to make it to my next flight (which was in another terminal). Luckily I had a smooth run through customs and immigration making it to my flight with 10 minutes to spare. The flight from Dallas to Minneapolis was picturesque. From the air I could see a distinct line where the snow started. There was also a beautiful pink/red sunset before landing. When I finally arrived in Minneapolis I was so so happy to see Ryne there waiting for me J.

That night we went to dinner at a place called Psycho Susies and then a quick drink at one of the local bars. The following day we went shopping for warm clothes (which are much needed) and that night we went to the team’s local bar where everyone was friends and welcoming.

So far the weather here is close to what winter is like in Canberra. It is supposed to be a top of -2°C and a low of -8°C on Monday so that will be an experience for sure. I think this cold is going to take some getting used to. A few quick things I have noticed here: there are squirrels roaming the streets and the snow is very pretty to look at and a bit of a novelty for the time being.

I am going to try and post regular big thing updates. I also hope to have a nutrition post out some time in the next week.


Bridget x

No comments:

Post a Comment